Philadelphians for Impeachment or Indictment of Bush and Cheney
City Councilmembers of Philadelphia
More Info at:
...urge the City Council of Philadelphia to pass a resolution asking the United States Congress to hold President George W. Bush and Vice President Richard Cheney accountable for the following failures in duty and crimes through the process of impeachment. If the City Council objects to impeachment on the grounds that the terms of office of both men are nearing their end, then we urge the Council to pass a resolution calling for the indictment of both men on the following breaches of office and/or criminal charges.
1. Violating the United Nations Charter by launching an illegal "War of Aggression" against Iraq without cause, using fraud to sell the war to Congress and the public, and misusing government funds to begin bombing without Congressional authorization.
2. Violating U.S. and international law by authorizing the torture of thousands of captives, resulting in dozens of deaths, and keeping prisoners hidden from the International Committee of the Red Cross.
3. Violating the Constitution by arbitrarily detaining Americans, legal residents, and non-Americans, without due process, without charge, and without access to counsel.
4. Violating the Geneva Conventions by targeting civilians, journalists, hospitals, and ambulances, and using illegal weapons, including white phosphorous, depleted uranium, and a new type of napalm.
5. Violating U.S. law and the Constitution through widespread wiretapping of the phone calls and emails of Americans without a warrant.
6. Violating the Constitution by using "signing statements" to defy hundreds of laws passed by Congress.
7. Violating U.S. law by using paid propaganda and disinformation, selectively and misleadingly leaking classified information, and exposing the identity of a covert CIA operative working on sensitive WMD proliferation for political retribution.
8. Subverting the Constitution and abusing Presidential power by asserting a "Unitary Executive Theory" giving unlimited powers to the President, by obstructing efforts by Congress and the Courts to review and restrict Presidential actions, and by promoting and signing legislation negating the Bill of Rights and the Writ of Habeas Corpus.
9. Gross negligence in failing to assist New Orleans residents after Hurricane Katrina, in ignoring urgent warnings of an Al Qaeda attack prior to Sept. 11, 2001, and in increasing air pollution causing global warming.
10. Gross negligence in ignoring the overwhelming evidence that carbon dioxide emissions are the primary cause of climate change that threatens the lives and livelihoods of Americans and all other peoples.
Evidence for these crimes are explained in detail at http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/petition.