Abolish the Proposed Development of 100 Storey Mega Tower in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
The Prime Minister and Government of Malaysia
More Info at:
The 19-acre development area of the mega project, which includes a condominium and a shopping mall, is sited on the car park and land adjacent to Stadium Negara and Stadium Merdeka. Additionally, another stadium which is the Chin Woo Stadium is also located within the development area.
There are 4 premier schools that are located within the vicinity of the development area of the mega project; namely the Victoria Institution, SRJK (C) Jalan Davidson, Methodist Boys School and Confucian Private Secondary School.
The Victoria Institution is a premier secondary school and one of the oldest schools in Kuala Lumpur which was founded in 1893. It was declared a National Heritage by Unity, Culture, Arts and Heritage Ministry of Malaysia on 14 February 2009.
Methodist Boys School is also one of the oldest schools in Kuala Lumpur which was founded by Christian missionary Dr. William T. Kensett in July 1897. In 2008, Methodist Boys' School was awarded the cluster school status by Education Ministry of Malaysia.
SRJK (C) Jalan Davidson, an 82 year old school, is one of the premier primary vernacular schools in Kuala Lumpur. In 2004, the school won the gold medal at the World Robot Olympiad in Singapore.
The 104 years old Confucian Private Secondary School is considered as one of the premier private vernacular schools in Kuala Lumpur. Its latest achievements include 2nd place on the recently organized 3rd Taylor's Culinary Challenge 2010.
Together, the 4 premier schools educate approximately 6,000 students every year.
With the development of the mega projects, it is likely that there will be disruptions and disturbance inevitably such as noise and air pollution generated from the construction of the mega project. In addition, safety and health of the students of the 4 premier schools is also being put at risk due its proximity to the construction site of the mega project, with the usage of scaffolding and other building equipments and large overhead cranes, earth movers, heavy-duty lorries and dump-trucks etc for its construction activities.
With the development of 100 storey office tower, shopping mall and condominium, it is likely that the mega project will lead to massive traffic flow and congestion problems within the area of the 4 premier schools. All the above will inevitably lead to a less than conducive education environment for the students of the 4 premier schools and this will affect the education process and quality of education that they will received.
We believe that the RM5billion development cost of the mega project should be used to improve various aspects of the Malaysian society such as:
- To improve the infrastructure of schools such as building of basic necessity i.e. toilets, provision of free books and assistance to school children in the rural areas in East Malaysia and West Malaysia Sabah and Sarawak.
- To eradicate poverty and improve the standard of living by providing assistance to hardcore poor, particularly the rural areas in East Malaysia and West Malaysia Sabah and Sarawak.
- To improve the healthcare system and service such as building of daycare and dialysis centre, replacement and improvement of equipments and facilities in hospitals; particularly in the rural areas in East Malaysia and West Malaysia Sabah and Sarawak.
- To provide assistance and improve standard of living such as building infrastructure to cater to the basic needs such as electricity and water facilities, road and transportation to the Orang Asli (indigenous people) of East Malaysia and West Malaysia Sabah and Sarawak.
- To provide assistance that caters to the daily needs of the OKUs (orang kurang upaya/disabled person) such as providing trainings to enable them to enter into job market and building of road pavements and infrastructure to enable mobility.
- To provide assistance to the less fortunate/elderly people such as building of old folks home and day care centre.
- To improve on public transportation and to reduce traffic problems of major towns and cities and making the major towns and cities a livable city.
We therefore call for the immediate abolishment of the proposed development of the 100 Storey Mega Tower.