A Call for Improvements with McDonald's Corporation
More Info at:
McDonald's is recognized as an environmental leader for our commitment and our actions - to protect the environment for future generations. We recognize that our customers' quality of life tomorrow will be affected by our environmental efforts today
The irony of these words is not lost on me. In a recent browse through the McDonalds Canada Website, I came across that very answer, quoted directly from you.
With the recent years of environmental concern and global warming, most restaurants in the area have come up with a variety of ways in which to improve procedure so as to reduce trash output and to prevent a future in a waste-filled world. And while your recent efforts for environmentally friendly changes are appreciated, there are so many issues and areas of your service to which I can see room for easy improvements. Small matters such as;
1) The Elimination of double cupping coffee cups using cup sleeves instead
2) The use of compostable Birch wood coffee stirrers vs. your current plastic stirrers
3) The implementation of a reduced price for coffee purchasers who use personal travel mugs
4) The use of refillable pepper and salt shakers (for sit-in customers) instead of the disposable packets
5) The use of an organic, biodegradable alternatives to your current NON-RECYCLABLE and NON-RECYCLED sandwich wraps.
6) The addition of a recycling program for the plastic items currently used, including plastic forks, knives, sundae containers, salad containers and others
These alternatives will not only reduce paper usage and overall trash output but with a lower usage of raw materials, they will also reduce costs.
So we are writing to you today, to demand a call for change. I have tried time and time again to speak to restaurant managers and workers about the possibility of implementing these changes; but as a restaurant under corporate rule by you, they have no possibility of changing protocol without your consent.
So we, as your customers, as the future of this country, call for these necessary modifications so that it may be possible to improve our chances at a better future world. As the forerunner of fast food restaurants, we expect that if you make the necessary adjustments with your food packaging, not only will it reflect well upon your company in displaying the so-called dedication to the community you so often speak of, but it will also set an environmental standard for the competing restaurants as well.
Please take this call, and do the right thing.
Your customers, your fellow citizens, your future, calls for it.