Say "NO" To Penang Outer Ring Road (PORR)
Government Of Malaysia
People Of Penang
More Info at:
Minister of Works
The Chief Minister and Deputy Minister Of Penang
We, the undersigned, a group of ordinary and concerned citizens, who feel angry and frustrated to the project, would like to appear to the government Of Malaysia, to halt the proposed Penang Outer Ring Road Project and take immediate action to explore other sustainable alternatives to solve Penang traffics problem.
From start, PORR has been tainted by the credibility of the developer:
1. No open Tender & no price comparison; the contract price could be artificially inflated.
2. No track records in construction; how can we trust they can build a safe road?
3. No professional or expert in highway development; See how poorly they present information to the public in the Caring Society and in MHA (cancelled without notice).
4. Paid up capital of only RM50K; excellent chance of a hit-and-run company.
5. Some Directors were ex-bankrupt and some are politically connected; tendency towards profit-making decision rather than real benefits to the people
6. First EIA is obsolete and still no second EIA yet; But Pg government has started to demolish government quarters in Taman Jesselton to be surrendered to the developer.
Building PORR in the residents area will not just cause land & properties to be acquired unnecessary, the livelihood, health and quality of many nearby residents will be greatly deteriorated for many generations to come: -
1. More noise and air pollutions will be introduced to many peaceful areas.
2. Property value depreciated. Already 10-30\% so far.
3. Some public areas such as Youth Park and Gurney drive will be partially lost.
4. Destruction of hill and tree.
5. Loss of places of worship and graveyards.
6. Six pieces of public recreation and reclaimed lands to be given FREE. On top of that, approx 50 acres of reserved lands were surrendered by the developers of Taman Mutiara, Menara Greenview, Vertical In-sight, Hunzaland, Taman Cermelang, Farlim to Pg State now are given free to the PORR developer. Yet, still have to pay toll for 30 years and more.
7. Sooner and later, TOLL amount will be increased again and again like PLUS highway.
8. More traffic jam at the eight toll booths (avg every 4 KM) as all vehicles will have to slow down and stop to pay toll. Just look at the Penang Bridge Toll booths during busy period.
PLEASE, We appear to you to consider our requests seriously: -
1. Listen to the UK consultant. Let the traffic accommodate the city, not the city accommodate the traffic. While PORR in one way will solve short-term problem, it will also create more traffics in the small island. In the long run, it will reach a point where all traffics will come to a stand still, no matter how many highways are built.
2. Invest more resources to complete the Jelutong Costal Highway in the quickest time possible, not waiting for another 3-4 years (started 97, now 5 yrs, < 50\% of Phase 1/3).
3. Better-coordinated public transport system. Bus, LRT/MRT, monorail like in Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Spore and Taiwan. Extending this facility to main land will encourage more people using public transport and greatly reduce traffics.
4. No hanky-panky deal. Open Tender on LRT/MRT, Open forum and Open consultation with the people of Penang.
Of course, we are not against any good development project for Penang but for this project, we would like to appear to you to consider our views and respect our rights.
Thank you for your understanding !
From The Committees of Island Glades Against PORR, Glugor, Penang