More Info at:
It is not our fault that there are so many formats, but it sure *is* everybody's problem. Please, undersign this petition and perhaps we have "all-in-one" combo drives some day.
You probably think that it is impossible to make a drive which can read and write all those formats. I do not think so that is impossible. I think that it only needs some minor modifications to the drive's firmware. Of course, it needs somewhat complicated electronics, but it is not impossible.
We, undersigned, want "all-in-one" combo drives that satisfies the following features:
- It should be easy to put a 120 mm, 80 mm or 60 mm disc with or without a cartridge on the drive's tray. For example, DVD-RAMs, PDs and probably BluRay Discs have a cartridge around the disc. ML CD-R(W)s have the new 60 mm form factor.
- "All-in-one" combo drive must be able to read (and write) all the optical disc formats: CD-R, CD-RW, DD-CD-R, DD-CD-RW, ML CD-R, ML CD-RW, FMD, PD, GD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-R(A), DVD-R(G), DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and all the different versions of them including Dual Layer (DL)."
- "All-in-one" combo drive must be ready for the future formats: BluRay, HD-DVD, EVD, VMD, DMD, HVD, etc., and all the different versions of them."
- "All-in-one" combo drive must be cheap, silent and have a high MTBF.
- "All-in-one" combo drive must have BURN-Proof technology and/or related technology, and DAO, TAO, SAO and PAO.
These features are optional but still rather important:
- DiscT@2, LightScribe, TrueX (72x or better speed for CD-ROM), "Bit-for-bit" copying, 8 MB buffer memory, Play button, Volume control, Headphone jack, digital output for sound, emergency eject hole, etc, etc.
Please, visit at http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~hetahein/tiede/laserlevyt.html.