'Google Translate' & 'Google News' does not include Marathi language
Larry Page, CEO, Google Inc.
More Info at:
Your company (Google Inc.) has a service called Google Translate which can translate words, sentences and passages from one language to another. This service is available 64 languages including Indian ones like Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Gujarati. Please note that Marathi language is conspicuous by its absence! Also, Google News is available in Hindi, Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam not in Marathi. This is a grave injustice to 90 million Marathi speakers across the globe.
The points mentioned below will help you understand the rich heritage that Marathi language has been blessed with:
1. After Hindi & Bengali, Marathi is the 3rd most spoken tongue in India along with Telugu and ahead of others like Tamil, Kannada and Gujarati. In fact, there are almost twice as many Marathi speakers as compared to Gujaratis in the world.
2. The Constitution of India recognizes Marathi as one of India's 22 official languages. It is the official language in the second largest state in India (Maharashtra) and is the co-official language in the provinces of Goa, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
3. Marathi is the 15th most spoken language in the world More people speak Marathi than French, Italian or Korean!
4. The oldest document in Marathi is from the 8th Century CE.
5. Marathi has the oldest of the regional literatures in Indo-Aryan languages, dating from the 10th Century CE.
6. Literacy rate is higher in Maharashtra than Gujarat, Bengal, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka (respective states for Gujarati, Bengali, Telugu and Kannada Languages).
7. Maharashtra state has the highest number of broadband and mobile phone users in India.
8. Marathi is spoken by Maharashtrian immigrants in USA, Europe, Africa, Oceania, Middle East and Far East in fact it is a respected language in Israel & Mauritius. Marathi immigrants have founded institution to promote the language in their respective countries The oldest being Marathi Prem Wardhak Mandali of Mauritius (1902 CE) and Marathi Mandal UK (1932 CE).
9. Substantial part of the Indian software professionals (including Google employees) in India and abroad are Marathi speaking.
10. Modern Indian theatre was founded by Vishudas Bhave's Marathi play Sitaswayamwar in 1842 CE.
11. The Bible (New Testament) was published in Marathi in 1811 CE by William Carey and the first Marathi newspaper Darpan was started in 1835 CE by Balshastri Jambhekar.
12. The first girls school in India was founded in 1848 CE in Pune by Mahatma jyotiba & Savitribai Phule and its medium of instruction was Marathi.
13. In 1977 CE, images from Earth & recordings of human languages were sent in outer space on Voyager spacecraft for intelligent extraterrestrial life forms or future human beings who might find them. Greetings in Marathi language (नमस्कार. ह्या पृथ्वीतील लोक तुम्हाला त्यांचे शुभविचार पाठवतात आणि त्यांची इच्छा आहे की तुम्ही ह्या जन्मी धन्य व्हा) were part of the Voyager Golden Record.
14. In addition to all universities in Maharashtra, Maharaja Sayajirao University (Gujarat), Banaras Hindu University (Uttar Pradesh), Osmania University (Andhra Pradesh), Gulbarga & Karnataka Universities (Karnataka), Devi Ahilya University (Madhya Pradesh) and Goa University all have special departments for higher studies in Marathi linguistics.
Hope this also helps you to realize the potential business that Google is losing by not providing these services to the Marathi speakers. If obscure languages like Haitian Creole, Azerbaijani, Maltese & Catalan can make it to the list why not Marathi with such a rich heritage and large population? We request you to expedite the process of including Marathi in theGoogle Translate and Google News services.