PETITION FOR INCREASED INTERNATIONAL AID TOWARDS THE MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS
International Justice Mission Mcmaster
More Info at:
To the Right Honourable Prime Minister Stephen Harper
We, the students of Canada and our supporters, urge the Canadian government to redouble its efforts to reach the Millennium Development Goal of 0.7\% Official Development Assistance by 2015.
We believe that Canada is in a position of world influence and should set an example by fulfilling this obligation. We agree with the eight goals to:
1. Cut extreme poverty and hunger by half
2. Achieve universal primary education
3. Promote gender equality and empower women
4. Reduce the under-five child mortality rate by two-thirds
5. Improve maternal health, cut the maternal mortality rate by three-quarters
6. Combat and reverse the spread of HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
7. Ensure environment sustainability
8. Develop a global partnership for development.
We call on the Canadian government, through legislative measures and through the provision of funding, to take a leadership role in achieving the MDGS and caring for those who are most vulnerable in our global community.